Architectural History

Renovation of the Lodge (formerly the Servants’ Quarters)

Glenlair House circa 1992

This old photograph was taken before the disastrous fire of 1929 that destroyed the greater part of the house in which Professor James Clerk Maxwell lived from about 1832 until his death in 1879. The Fergusons renovated the Servantsí Quarters, at the right hand end of the building in 1993. This article gives a small …

Continue reading »

Glenlair: A brief Architectural History

Figure 1

By Prof. Jordi Cat of The Department of History and Philosophy of Science Indiana University, USA Architecture around the turn the late 18th-century would become the arena in which religious controversies, political debates and cultural, philosophical and scientific ideas were expressed. To understand Glenlair one must remember that John Clerk Maxwell (1790-1856) and his son …

Continue reading »